Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Let the Radiation Begin!

Saw the doc today. 17 treatments starting 7/28 and ending 8/19. There is an end to this game!
Can't start any sooner due to needing 3-4 weeks to make sure the chemo is through my system. Otherwise, my skid would be as red as a fire hydrant. The visit today was really good. Doc was very patient with my questions and gave detailed answers. I feel good about the treatments and believe it's the right thing to do. Each treatment is about 15 mins long. They actually schedule patients 15 mins apart. Can anyone say moooooo! Just kidding. The folks at the radiation place are very nice and supportive. Due to my last PET scan being negative before finishing chemo, it has allowed the radiation dose to be lower. This is really good. It reduces the risk of late secondary cancers, although doesn't omit the chance. As we all know, there are no absolutes in life, especially when treating cancer. But, my chances are reduced which is comforting. Side effects from radiation will be dry skin to effected areas which lotion should take care of, a lump in my throat which is due to dryness, and fatigue. That has become such an ugly word. Today the did a CT scan to show the radiated areas in 3D. These images will be "dumped" into a software planning system to help pinpoint the specific spots to radiate. They put "markers" on me today which are used to line me up on the first visit. I have one right above the trachea, two down the breast bone area, and one on each side of my rib cage. They'll radiate from the diaphragm up to where the wind pipes split, behind the breast bone, right arm pit, and both sides of my neck. My thyroid will be protected so the chances of having problems with that later on is lower too. The neck radiation is from the top of the adams apple about an inch or so towards each ear and down just past the collar bone. The rads will encompass a small portion of the right side of my heart and part of my right lung. Again, doc says due to the low dose, both run a lower risk of any future problems. Late side effects include the possibility of shingles (adult chicken pox) and something called Lhermittes syndrome. The latter is due to being radiated to the neck. It's basically an electric shock feeling down the legs when you tuck your chin to your chest. When I asked the doc what I could do to prevent it, he said don't tuck your chin. Well duh! So all in all, and like I've said before, this could be much worse. I'm hoping the side effects will be limited as the doc says but we all know each of us react differently. We'll see. All I know is I'd start tomorrow if I could. It's time to complete this journey and get on with my life. A much improved life it will be, but none the less, it's time to move on. Since radiation is every day (M-F), I'll be able to add more to the postings. Hope everyone is enjoying there summer. Mine is getting better each day.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Hey Annie,
Been checking in to sear this news so glad it's finally here. One more step closer to being done with it all! I know it's all going to be fine and will just complete your healing! Just look at your message from Jesus every day to be reminded of how he is in control and taking good care of you. It won't be long now till you are done! I'm here if you need me and you know you stay in my prayers. We're on the downside of the hill now.

Anonymous said...

Annie, Wonderful news. Hopefully, the rad will be a piece of cake after the last few months. Take care. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Jo Anne

Joyce said...

Annie,
So very happy to read your news..Looks like your running with the ball, go girl. Your in our thoughts and prayers.