Tuesday, July 1, 2008

It's Halftime

I'm done! I'm done! I'm done! Today was the last chemo. Met with the doc and gave her my list of side effects. The newest item added was kidney pain. Without any prompting from me, the doc stated today would be my last treatment. The toxins from the chemo out weigh any positive impact from two extra treatments. She also stated the percentage of longevity was NOT great enough to risk toxic side effects from the two extra treatments. I was so glad to hear that. It's exactly how I felt two weeks ago. The only way to describe how I feel is this....in the movies we see people who are drowning in a lake/river. When they come up for air that huge gasp they take.....that's how I felt today. A ton has been lifted off my shoulders. The biggest asset through this whole situation has been praying. I waited about 30 minutes for the doc. I just sat in the chair, eyes closed, and prayed. Although I did ask for this to be my last treatment, I also promised to follow whatever path was set before me. I left it in God's hands to show me the way.....and he did. Last night, Rob and Mary came by the house to say hi and deliver a very special gift. Timing was perfect. I was very bored and very anxious. The special gift is from the Barkers. Thank you Pam! A nice framed, scripted piece that says "Trust me. I have everything under control. Jesus." I must have read it 10 times. It's true though. Today was just an affirmation of how strong faith is. It was an amazing feeling to hear the docs words. That was the clearest sign I've had that I'm healed. Just a little more to do though. The first radiation visit is 7/16, unless someone cancels and I can take their spot. That visit is the consult. I was told I'd have to wait 3-4 weeks to start radiation in order to get the chemo out of my system. I'm leaning towards the three weeks. I'm ready to get started and ready to be done. No more tests until the end of September. At that time another CT and PET scan will be done. My 3 month checkup is 10/1, at which time I'll get the test results. That visit will be the first confirmation the chemo and radiation worked. I feel like they will. So this is my last round of chemo side effects. Whew. I'm so relieved and breathing easier. Thank you all for being in my corner. The cards, blog postings, support, and especially the prayers, have been wonderful. I couldn't have made it through this without you all. I have a break for a few weeks and will definitely relish in my blessings. I have a lot to be thankful for.

5 comments:

Pam said...

Hi Annie,
Yes, yes, yes, just what I wanted to hear that you don't have to have the extra teatments, but I knew if you just trusted the Lord he wold give you your answer and he did!
I just now had the chance to check in but so happy to hear the news. You are so welcome for the message from Jesus. I wanted so much for you to have it before you had your last treatment but the frame shop couldn't get it done. You know what though? Jesus does things in his own time and he decided you needed it more yesterday to confirm everything you just heard. Annie, you are healed and I know it from my heart. We just have to keep our faith going and as you know sometimes "it ain't easy"! Sometimes when we are at our edge and think we are losing the Lord will send us a little mesage and that is all we need to get back in the game. Girl you have taken the trophy! Now you will be able to inspire and cheer someone else on that is in the same situation and needs some support. I am still here though if you ever need me and am looking forward to a party of celebration for you!

Anonymous said...

Annie, EXCELLENT NEWS!!!! You have been on our prayer list at church and also in my prayers. Amazing it all works. God always has an answer. Much love. Jo Anne

Pam said...

Annie, I forgot but there is a little someting else I meant to send you so will get it to you when they guys go back to work next week. Have a very Happy 4th of July! I know it will be a lot better now that you are done with the chemo!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for and expecting this update! Such great news! Thinking of you often.

Corneice said...

Nothing more to say......God rocks!!!