Monday, July 28, 2008

First Radiation Complete

Well, the hard part is over. First radiation treatment is done. I really don't have the right words to describe how it felt other than it was different. Kind of like an extended x-ray. When I got there, I didn't have to wait but maybe five minutes. After I changed into a gown and was led into the zapping room, they had me lay down on a table. I have a mesh mask that's molded to my face. Once it's put on me it gets bolted to the table. This is to keep me in place so I don't move. Trust me, when the zapping begins, you don't want to move. Today's visit included some real x-rays to confirm where to put the tattoos. They outlined the radiation area first then added the tats. Not the pin dots I've read about. With a blue sharpie, my chest became a connect the dots activity. Luckily I can wash most of it off. I had radiation both on the front and back. It only took about 30 - 45 seconds top. Very fast. The mesh mask makes it hard to keep my eyes open so most of the time they were closed. I couldn't really tell what was going on anyway. I must have done something right. They kept telling me I was doing a good job. Funny, I've never heard that for doing nothing. It got amusing after a while. Radiation is no where close to receiving chemo. Like I said, it was very different. I have to admit I was scared. I don't like not knowing what to expect. When it was time to actually radiate, I tried to recite the Lords Prayer......except I forgot the words. Never in my life has that happened. He knows what I was trying to say, though. Tomorrow I have a PFT (lung) test just as a follow up. Should pass with flying colors. I also will meet with the radiation doc for my weekly check-up. Other than that, only 16 more to go. I'm very happy to have finally started the last leg of this. I'm looking forward to this being over and getting back to a "normal" life. We all know normal now has a new meaning.

1 comment:

Pam said...

So glad you got started and it wasn't too bad for you. I commend you and say good job as well because----- some people cannot stand to be bolted down like that and they freak out. I know I wouldn't be too crazy about it as I am so claustrophobic but having the mask be mesh helps a lot. I mean I cannot even do a open MRI without sedation and I've got a medical background. Of course those ( some at least ) with a medical background can be the worst patients.
Anyway here you go, one round down. And yes Jesus knew exzactly what you wanted to say and he heard every word in yur heart. He was right there with you getting you through it as he will be through the rest. I am praying this will all go very fast for you and you will be ready to party before you know it.