Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Today was a Good Day

Just five more treatments to go! Yeah! Still dealing with a sore throat and eating soft foods. It's tolerable though. Today was a really uplifting day. Not just because another treatment is complete but because I had the chance to talk with another radiation patient. She was just amazing. I had already completed my zapping for the day and was waiting to see the doc. Tuesday's are doctor day. Just a check up on how things are going. Anyway, as I'm waiting, this lady comes through, just finished with her zapping, and proceeds to ask me how I am but in a genuinely, caring way. I was so touched by her sincerity. Most times when I see other patients, we just smile and say hi. Nobody really wants to discuss their cancer. But this lady....she was different. She took the time to sit down and just talk. I found out she's just starting her radiation treatments, which go until mid-September, then moves to chemo. I told her I had already done chemo which she replied "I can tell." Well duh Annie! What was her first clue? Not much hair? No eyebrows? Pale skin? Geez! When you're in a room full of other cancer patients, you tend to blend in. I forgot what I looked like. It was funny though. When she told me how long her radiation treatments were, I told her that was great! Not much longer. Based on the look she gave, it's longer to her. But, I told her, it's better than the alternative. She agreed and said we're in "The Club" now. Yes, I said. We are. The survivors club.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Hi, Sorry I'm just now getting the time to comment on your latest entry. I'm actually getting some much needed and neclected chores done.
You know that was a good thing to talk to that lady. I guess some people think if you don't talk about it, it will make it go away or be better somehow. I'm a big believer in talking about whatever it is you're going through. It's good therapy to talk whether it's to a pro or just a friend. And it's especially good to talk to someone who is going through a similare experience or who has already gone through it. It's really inspiring to see someone who has already been through what you're going through and is way past where you are at the time. But also during the tough times Jesus is in total control so let him handle what you can't.
I was thinking about something that might help your sore throat too. Have you tried one of those ice packs that you put in the freezer? I got one at Walgreens a few yeaers ago and it's great! I have used it many times. It's a narrow and long type and you just put it in the freezer and it will wrap at least half way around your neck. They used to use collar ice packs on people after they had thier tonsils out and they were super good. ANyway just a suggestion in case you might want to try that. Hope you're having a good day!

Pam said...

Hi Annie,
Thinking about and praying for you and wanted to send some good vibes your way today. Hope you've had a good one. Keep the faith sweetie cause Jesus is giving you hugs.